Ok, so we are still two years out from getting our first real playoff. We have this bowl season and then one more to endure before we get our four team postseason playoff. And as it stands, it seems a committee will choose those four teams. I think that is perfectly acceptable as it sure beats the joke the computers have become. So, say you are on the committee this year, who do you choose?
It’s important to note you cannot choose Ohio State due to penalties. So cross them off your list and let’s try and get to four teams from who we have. Here are your contenders:
1. Notre Dame – undefeated independent. There’s pretty much no way you don’t include them
2. Alabama – one loss SEC champion. They won the toughest conference in college football. Pretty much no way you don’t include them
Ok, so that’s half of them, who gets the last two spots? Much muddier waters…
1. Florida – 11-1 and finished #3 in the BCS. Didn’t win their conference. Didn’t win their division.
2. Oregon – 11-1 and finished #4 in the BCS. Didn’t win their conference. Didn’t win their division.
3. Kansas State – 11-1 and finished #5 in the BCS. Won their conference.
4. Stanford – 11-2 and finished #6 in the BCS. Won their division. Won their conference.
5. Florida State – 11-2 and finished #12 in the BCS. Won their division. Won their conference.
6. Northern Illinois – 12-1 and finished #15 in the BCS. Won their division. Won their conference.
7. Louisville – 10-2 and finished #21 in the BCS. Won their conference.
8. Utah State – 10-2 and finished #22 in the BCS. Won their conference.
In all honesty I don’t see how you could include anyone else. That’s all the respectable conference champions plus the only one loss teams not to win their conferences. So who do you take?
Here’s what I would do. First, I drop Utah State, Louisville, Northern Illinois and Florida State. They just didn’t win strong enough conferences to count in my book. Next, I include Kansas State as the #3 team because they had only one loss and won their conference. That means at #4 I get either another SEC team, a one loss Pac-12 team or the two loss Pac-12 champion. I would drop Florida as they didn’t win their conference. By that same token though I would have to drop Oregon, even though I would rather have them in the playoff than Stanford. I think you have to go with Stanford for winning their conference and beating Oregon.
So it would be Stanford vs Notre Dame and Kansas State vs Alabama. In all likelihood we would still get a Notre Dame vs Alabama championship, but you never know. Who would you put in the four team playoff?